Eggplant and Goat Cheese Sandwiches
- 8 (1/2-inch-thick) eggplant slices
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 4 (1-ounce) slices ciabatta bread
- 2 tablespoons refrigerated pesto
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) soft goat cheese
- Preheat broiler.
- Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. Brush both sides of eggplant with 1 teaspoon oil. Cut bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membrane. Arrange bell pepper halves, skin sides up, on baking sheet with eggplant; flatten with hand. Broil 4 minutes; turn eggplant over (do not turn bell pepper over). Broil an additional 4 minutes; remove eggplant from pan. Broil bell pepper an additional 7 minutes or until blackened. Place bell pepper in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand for 15 minutes; peel and discard skin.
- Broil bread slices for 2 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once. Spread 1 tablespoon pesto on each of 2 bread slices. Layer each bread slice, pesto side up, with 2 eggplant slices, 1 bell pepper half, and 2 eggplant slices. Toss arugula with remaining 1 teaspoon oil and black pepper; divide arugula mixture evenly between sandwiches. Spread 2 tablespoons goat cheese over each of 2 remaining bread slices; place, cheese side down, on sandwiches.
Spiced Eggplant Cutlets
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 small eggplants
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Chickpea-Feta Salad
- Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Stir together first 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Cut eggplants lengthwise into 1-inch-thick slices. Stir together olive oil and garlic.
- Sprinkle both sides of eggplant slices with paprika mixture. Brush both sides with olive oil mixture.
- Grill eggplant, covered with grill lid, 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until slightly charred and tender. Serve immediately with Chickpea-Feta Salad.
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 (8-ounce) cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (1-pound) eggplants, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Fresh oregano sprigs (optional)
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- Place eggplant in a large bowl; add water to cover, and let stand 30 minutes. Drain well; blot dry with paper towels. Combine 1/4 cup water and egg whites in a shallow bowl. Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese; stir well. Dip eggplant in egg white mixture, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture.
- Place half of eggplant on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, and broil 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Repeat procedure with remaining eggplant. Set eggplant aside.
- Spread half of tomato mixture in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange half of eggplant over sauce; top with half of mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers with remaining sauce, eggplant, and cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh oregano sprigs, if desired.